Pages

mijn maatje

mijn maatje

boototter

boototter
on a spot in the neighborhood

Monday, August 30, 2010

never again gas station food...

Last weekend we intended to visit the organic market, we were nearly out of stuff. The metro tunnel being closed for five weeks diminished our stocks to the absolute bottom, and when I visited last monday I simply could not bring enough to get that to acceptable level. Fresh, tasty veggies simply deserved the first place. If I could have cycled there there would not so much have been a problem, if I could have walked there would have been no problem either, but the closing of the tunnel just coincided with a wheelchair bound period.
Visiting my parents during that closure, using wheelchair transport, was enough to wait again until the tunnel reopened. Perfect it exists, but I'll avoid that form of time consumption whenever possible.
We didn't go this weekend. That meant I should bake a loaf of bread, no problem.  Already on kneading though I noticed the different types of meal got stale, the yeast was exhausted.   I simply did not bake enough myself for a long time, and all ingredients punished me for my neglect.
It turned out even more yukky than expected, only tonight I realised I forgot to add salt.  Professionally baked bread needed, so the trip to the organic market was #1 activity for today.

Anyway, today it was walking day, and the distances home-station  and station-shop were thus I could make it. Veggies of course, milk from the factory we prefer, breads ;-).
Of course our holidays are all the time in mind, and I just between veggies and milk remembered a Saturday two, three years ago when we did our first day shopping in a gas station, knowing that we would arrive too late for regular supermarkets. Did you know that Italian brands export inedible tomatoes, mashed with some unmentionable herbs, as sugo to the Danish market? I never had high esteem on jarred sugo, but it proved worse than I could imagine. Toilet cleaner did the final job getting rid of it; it was that filthy it all ended up there the same evening.
So,  on the risk that my low esteem for jarred sugo again will be confirmed, I realised that I best bring something to eat for the first Saturday evening. The filled pasta in vacuum I know, always have some in stock and it's nice, and serving the jarred sugo aside must secure some food will give necessary calories after the long ride. It can't be as bad as the one we bought there, though.

Really looking forward to the Danish markets though. The things they did not sell before and I can't do without for 3 weeks I already bought. We did not go on holidays there for over a year now, but I doubt if they suddenly will sell Indonesian spices or matzoh meal. Never brought the latter before, but this year's vacation  in September, the High Holidays are all within. And I have visions of gefillte fish looking out over the pond and sea it would have so much loved to swim  :)  Mønishewitsch, hehehe.
But I know of the things they do sell. Some of it I might buy and bring home, some is just for holidays. However close Denmark  may be, how much it may resemble Holland in a quick glance, they have a different taste and tradition in food, breads and all. I'll use those three weeks as much as I can; rain season might be bad for excursions but good for food..

 All this to make clear to you guys how much I am looking forward to next Friday (picking up the rental stationcar) and Saturday (the stationcar moving all of us and stuff up north)

No comments: